The Giver

There's this book.  It's called The Giver.  I had never heard of it until a few years ago.

The cover looked interesting, and I thought that someday I'd maybe read it.

At the end of the school year (May around here), we heard about the movie version of the book.  My middle child, who is in the 8th grade now, became very excited.  He said he really liked the book.

First of all, this was the first I was hearing that he read a book.  No, I'm kidding.  The child does not like to read books.  He prefers comics.  Truly.  He does.  It makes me crazy.  I am a book reader.  I have e-versions and paperbacks of the same books.  That is how much I love to read.  I will read on my Kindle, then continue on with the regular book if I run out of battery.  I am obsessed with books.

For me to hear that he really liked this book was probably one of the greatest things I have ever heard uttered from his mouth.  I instantly became obsessed with having to read this book.  Alas, I am a cheapskate, and will wait and wait to buy a book, even if it is only $5.64 at Walmart.

See, there are only two books in the entire world that this boy has been excited about.  One is The Call of the Wild, by Jack London, of which he now owns two versions of, (and White Fang, because mom said so) and the other is The Giver. Two books in the 14 years he has been alive that he'll read over and over.  I'm sure he'll find more in the years to come, but the fact that he gets this excited over these two books is heartwarming for me.

Anyway, I finally found it at the thrift store yesterday afternoon.  $1.99 is a price that I can live with.  I would have gotten the 99 cent copy, but the man on the cover had had his eyes scratched out in such a way that I was scared of him, so I put it back on the shelf to scare other unsuspecting individuals.

When he got home, yesterday, I could see he was pretty happy I had gotten the book.  That means that I'll read it, and take him to see the movie, which he keeps asking about (He is currently grounded until report cards come out).  So he teased me relentlessly about giving away secrets in the book and especially the ending.  Oh, torture!

He's a clown, this kid.  In his boredom from being grounded, he's taken to pulling shenanigans, such as hiding the remote control (He isn't allowed to watch TV, and hid the remote so his sister wouldn't turn on the television, since then he couldn't sit in the living room).   I can't wait to start the book!

The thrift store, for me, is a place of magic.  Used to be when I was a kid, my grandfather would take us to the Salvation Army store.  I thought that was the greatest place in the world.  He'd find some stuff and then take it home and 'tinker' with it, just because.

When I grew up, I found OTHER thrift stores:  Goodwill, Savers, Value Village.  Now, at least once a month, I make the rounds of the stores to check stuff out.  I love walking through the aisles and seeing all the treasures waiting to be discovered!

No comments:

Post a Comment