Learning

I have found, over the years, with my needlework, that you don't just learn.  It is a continual process of finding new techniques.

In crochet, the stitches get taller.  In knitting, it's all the same, just working the stitches differently.

My biggest learning deficiency in knitting has been continental knitting.  I am left-handed.  It's part of the reason I ended up teaching myself to crochet, then knit.  My grandmother couldn't figure out HOW to teach me when I asked.

So, I've just been 'throwing' the yarn when I knit.  It's worked out fine, especially since I really am still learning the ropes of knitting.  Plus, while I do knit/crochet right handed, my hands want to do continental knitting left handed.  I mean, if I want to even attempt to try continental knitting, I have to concentrate hard and really think about what I'm doing.

Someone once asked me why I didn't do continental knitting, I sounded like a jackass when I explained it, but I said, "My brain won't let me figure it out." She and her ex-husband looked at me like I was off my rocker.  Basically, I can hold the yarn correctly in my right hand for continental knitting, but I can't knit right handed like that, and I certainly can't do it left handed.

It was just this morning that I actually knit a few stitches continental and didn't end up dropping most of them.  The only problem is, I am not 100% sure on how to hold the yarn outside of keeping the tension on my pointer finger.  Sometimes I wish I had a wand do I could knit like Mrs Weasley in the Harry Potter movies, but where's the fun in that, right?

Well, I don't have a lot of time left here to knit or anything.  Hubby's coming home and we're going to go walking in the park.  I mean if he doesn't fall asleep when he gets home.  I might just leave him asleep.  My head is aching and I'm not sure if it's because I need more water or I'm caffeine deprived.  Of course, I could just be getting sick.  And wouldn't that be a joy.  Not!

Have a wonderful Thursday and I hope your weekend is spectacular!

No comments:

Post a Comment