I Suck

Yes, I am terrible about keeping the blog updated.

I had planned on posting about a week and a half ago, but my husband was on vacation, and somehow, no matter how well everything is planned, the entire week is an uproar, and about the third day of vacation, I'm praying that I don't kill him before he goes back to work. In years past, I've taken to drinking.  This year, because I was at work for some of it, it wasn't 'awful'. Though he did play good parent with the kids where he played XBOX and wasn't making sure they were doing anything besides having their eyes glued to whichever device. So Crazy Mom had to make an appearance.

So in the interim, I have been practicing my sock knitting skills, which are now still only slightly over NO knitting skills. My problem is the DPNs.  I do not like double pointed needles.  And the ones I have are the reason why, I think.  My thought was that since it's for socks, and socks take thin fingering weight yarn, they don't have to be too long.  I was wrong, wrong, wrong.  I started on the Knitmore Girls Vanilla Socks  on Lion Brand Sock Ease yarn (colorway is Red Hots and I'm using size 2 needles), on my two days off, and things went amazingly well when I had a chance to work on them.  Sort of, I was project jumping for the two days.  Back and forth between a blanket and the socks and another pair of socks.  I thought it would be a great idea to bring the sock with me to work, because I want to wear these darn socks (so I can start on MORE socks!).

I put the sock in my bag, and when I brought it out to work on it at work, I found a dropped stitch.  I caught it before it unraveled.  When I got home and started to work on it again, I found TWO dropped stitches!!  I made sure to finish the darn sock that night.  Well, at least enough so the needles weren't bursting.

It was dumb, because I have the sock on the 5 inch needles.  Mostly it's because they are bamboo, and my longer dpns are aluminum and very slippy.  And I only have 4 of them, which is just awful for me sometimes.  So I'll have to make sure to pick up some longer bamboo needles.  In sizes 1 and 2 at least.

My other socks, my Easy Peasy Socks for First-Timers, by Stacy Trock, the ones that are for me, and a gorgeous black and orange acrylic-I Love This Yarn Fan Pride, are almost done.  I JUST finished picking up the stitches and am now at the decreases.  Something that happened, though, and which I don't plan on fixing, was that I did a k2, p2 cuff on the first sock, and I followed the pattern exactly for the second sock and it's only a k1, p1 cuff.  I haven't written any notes on the pattern on Ravelry, so I have no idea what the heck I was thinking, unless I had planned on doing a different sock pattern with this yarn or I was drinking.  I'm leaving them with the different cuffs.  They're acrylic socks, so I won't be wearing them to work or anything, they'll be more for when I absolutely cannot stand the cold anymore but realize that it's still 65 degrees in the house and turning on the heater would be dumb, which is exactly where I'm at right now.  You can imagine how much I want to be done with them.

It's officially getting cold enough that I pulled out all the blankets from the blanket tub, and washed them up so we can sit with them instead of crying about how cold we are, since right now it's just us girls that are so cold.

Seriously, it's getting silly around here.  It's dipping into the mid 30's at night.  Temperatures went from the 80/90s to the 60/70s during the day time.  My days off now are consisting of me sitting in my chair in the living room knitting or crocheting, wearing my clothes are my TARDIS robe.  This is how my oldest son found me on Monday when he came home from school.  This is almost how my oldest son found me on Tuesday.  I WANT the heater to be on.  That's how cold I am.  However, when I go turn the heater on and the thermostat is reading 69 degrees in the house, it just seems silly for the heater to be on at all.  So I will wait.

Well, I have a sock to finish so I can keep my feet from getting what feels like frozen to me.  I hope your crafting is going better than mine!


No comments:

Post a Comment