The Season

Since I started crocheting (and now knitting), I have been setting some seriously stupid goals for myself when it comes to gift giving. Pretty lofty stuff, considering my procrastinating personality.

Plus, I think I have ADD, because I get so BORED making things.  This is why I won't take orders for projects too often.  I hate disappointing people, and I know that I would end up disappointing someone, most likely myself if I didn't do an order.  So I sort of hate when people ask me if I could make them something.

This awesomeness ended up as a gift, le sigh!
I'd rather see something that I have to make and then decide later who I should give it to.  I did that with an amazing blanket I HAD to make from a pattern in a magazine.  I made it, went crazy ordering the yarn to do it, and then, all of a sudden, voila!  I heard a whisper that said, "THIS is why you HAD to make this blanket."  And so it was given as a gift, though I'd really like to have the dang thing right now (even though I have two other blankets right here beside me that I made.  Shhhh don't tell them!)


So, I have to really, really want to make something if someone asks me for something.  I dunno.  I try not to share too many things on my Facebook page, because then I get, "Ooooh how much would you charge to make this?"  And my first thought is always, "Honey, you don't want to know!"  Because, really.  If you knew how much materials cost, you'd shit bricks.  Sorry, but it's true.

That's why.  Because I'd like to keep my friends.  Internet friends or not, you're still my friends and I don't want you to think I've lost my mind.  The truth is, it would cost me nearly $50 just for the yarn, and while I could make that thing you want me to make, I don't think you'd like to hear that.  So, yea.

My theory is, if I make something and someone wants to buy it, so be it.  Otherwise, whatever.  I can always use it myself or my daughter will steal it.  Or both.

This week, I have discovered the joys of podcasts!  I've been listening to a few and I am enjoying myself.  I have been thinking about doing a weekly video for the blog, since I do have a lot of time where I have an empty house, though I'm sure the dog would suddenly find me extremely interesting if I tried shooting a video.

Also, video would require me to probably brush my hair and make myself look decent so no one called the cops on me. Though I'm pretty sure people would think it was awesome that I did my videos in my TARDIS robe that I got for my birthday and that I am almost wearing all the time when I am home.  I'll think about it some more.  And what I would actually be talking about in the video and how much time I'd have to spend editing it (for swears and stuff), to see if it's really worth it.  

It's getting colder out here in Arizona.  Last week, I awoke to temperatures in the 30's.  And I was freezing my keister off in my own house.  Whenever I went to turn no the heater, though, my thermostat shamed me.  It was 69-70 degrees in the house.  Clearly, there's something wrong with me. 

OK, project time.  I am working on three pairs of socks, each pair is in varying degrees of work.  We'll start with the pair that's furthest along.  Those are the Knitmore Girls Vanilla sock, with some changes in it, I guess.  Their pattern is written for 2 circulars, and I got confused, so the gusset is a little wonky on the first sock, and I am past the cuff on the second sock.  

My next sock is part of what I'm calling the family sock run.  One pair for each of us, made out of a skein of Shepherd's Wool Worsted from Stonehedge Fiber Mill.  I have five skeins, each of a different color, so voila!  Socks for all.  My first set is for my Schmoopie Pants.  His are in Yellow and the pattern is Rye by TinCan Knits, which is just awesome.  I am on the heel flap portion of the sock now, and am in the process of pretending to move the pictures of it from my phone to the computer so I can show them off.  Procastinating! yay!  I'll figure out later if I want to make the same for everyone else's socks.  Of course, the Girl has to be difficult and decide she wants me to use the Manos del Uruguay Maxima for her socks.  Like I've completely lost my marbles.  Lucky for her, I have a ball of orange Shepherd's wool.  I'll save my Maxima for something that I really want to make with it.  The Boys are just, "Whatever" about the socks, though the Tall Boy did request that his were blue. The Taller Boy is then stuck with either green or red, and The Others decided he would probably like the red better.  So that means Mama gets the green socks.  Though really, I'm making myself like 4 pairs of socks so it doesn't matter.  Muahahaha!

My third pair, which has the least amount of work done is The Weasley Rib by Erica Lueder on Ravelry.  I am still working the cuff on the first sock.  They are being worked in Patons Kroy Socks Stripes in colorway Singin' The Blues, because blue is my favorite.  

New stuff:

This morning I learned about the magic loop method.  I am dazzled.  So dazzled, I tore up all my knitting supplies to search for my long corded size 1 and 3 circular needles, and have convinced myself I need to start yet another pair of socks so I can knit them in this manner.  I just have to decide which socks.  Since I went sock crazy, I have downloaded just about a million sock  patterns from Ravelry.  I have literally wasted valuable knitting time searching and downloading, so that my download bar on my browser looks like a CNN ticker-unreadable!  I MUST magic loop.  MUST!

Finished stuff:

NOTHING.  I finished something night before last, I think.  My stripey socks made of I Love This Yarn Fan Pride.  They're awesome.  They're acrylic, so I'm sort of afraid to wear them outside of to keep my feet warm when I wake up in the morning.  I don't know what I did, but the heel part that's under my foot, sort of sticks out a little, like little sock wings. It's pretty weird.  But I love them!  

Work stuff:

I was reminded yesterday how much work having a preschooler is.  At work there's a nephew who visits occasionally when I am there.  I get to talk to him, and tease him a little.  Yesterday, I sort of babysat him for about 40 minutes. Man! was he BUSY! Whew!  It made me miss the kids being that small.  

Home stuff:

Thanksgiving is coming!  The Tall Boy is going to be my assistant this year and the fun starts on Wednesday night, when we start baking pies.  As a precursor to this, though we'll be cleaning the oven, because whenever we turn it on now, the smoke alarms go off.  Repeatedly. It's awful.  

Also, I am glad Schmoopie's vacation is over.  That is all.  

Well, it's that time again, when I have to start thinking about getting dressed for work.  I hope your week starts off well, and that you call have a great Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment