2015, Year of the Finish

Happy New Year!

Before the end of 2014, I decided that my last yarn purchase, which was sometime mid December, would be my last purchase.  I decided that 2015 I wouldn't buy ANY new skeins or balls or hanks of yarn.

The thing that bought this on was a Knit A-Long in the Addicted to Sock Knitting group on Facebook.  The idea behind this KAL is that we all probably have a lot of yarn that hasn't been used, and that sock clubs are awesome but can get pricey, so why not just make a pair of socks each month from what we already have on hand.  Greatest idea EVER.

I went through my yarn, knowing for a fact that I did have several skeins of sock yarn, enough (I thought) to bring me at least through half the year.  And I figured, if I didn't finish the KAL, so what OR If I managed to not buy yarn for six months, heck, that's a feat in itself.

I brought out all my sock yarns, bagged them up into twelve bags, and had some left over.  There are going to be a total of 14 patterns released for this KAL, but I thought I'd have a tough time making it to the 12 bags.  Of course not.  PLUS on top of that, I have several sock yarn socks that I haven't finished yet.

That thought brought me to the realization that I have a LOT of projects in various stages of being 'almost' finished, that I keep putting aside to start new ones.

THAT brought me to the idea of 2015 being the Year of the Finish.  Meaning, finally finishing all those projects that I started in 2014 or before (yep, I have some of those too).  I mean, I have a set of fingerless gloves that only need a thumb done, but I keep ignoring them.

So the basic plan is to make the (at least) one pair of socks for the KAL a month, and continue working on the projects that have been basically collecting dust in the house.  Hopefully, by the end of the year I'll have 12 pairs of socks, two new large blankets, some mittens and a lot of room in the yarn closet!

I am afraid I won't have the will to not purchase yarn, as the last few days I keep thinking about how I could go to the yarn sale at Michael's or just pick up a ball of sock yarn at Tuesday Morning.  So far it's been good.  I have only gone to TM to look for a circular needle (they didn't have the size I wanted).

I think I'll be pretty busy, though.  Especially since in Arizona it's warming up...those two weeks of winter were ridiculous!  I need my tote back to put the blankets away in!  Right now it's full of random balls of yarn that I have no place for.

What are you doing this year??  Have you made resolutions?  I don't like to call it a resolution.  It's more of a pact, or a promise.  I'm hoping to save a lot of money this year by not buying yarn and providing lots of cool new things with what I have on hand for friends and family.    If you'd like to follow my year, I'll be posting on instagram (Shirley_Mirley) and using the hashtag #yearofthefinish and #finishwips

No comments:

Post a Comment