Unnatural

This past Tuesday, I took a spinning class at Tempe Yarn and Fiber.  It's a two part class, with the second part this coming Tuesday.

I have no pictures or anything, though I brought my camera and phone with me.  I walked in and found myself nervous and eager.  Of course, I wanted to also wander around the store and buy all the things, but I took myself to the back of the store to the classroom.

There I found Michelle, our instructor, and Todd, the only other student.  We had an Ashford wheel and a Ladybug, which was the one I got to use.

Things I learned in class:

How to get the spinning started
That the wheel will go into counter clockwise if you stop
How to use the wheel
I'm no Rumpelstiltskin
And finally:  That I actually have to work at spinning!

Can you believe it?  The nerve!

I had dreams of going in there and spinning up a whole mess of beautiful singles to ply in the next class.  I came home with a few ounces of a blue mess.  It wasn't awful, but it wasn't what I had hoped to be carrying out of the store at the end of the class.

I also walked out with homework.  Ewww!  Homework is to spin as much as possible during the week between classes.

So I went to Arizona Yarn & Fiber to spin and made a mess.  I was only going to spin for about 30 minutes, but I took so long figuring out what was going on that I ran out of time before I really got to do anything.

I was going to go today, but my daughter wanted to shop for toiletries today and took her sweet ass time getting out of bed, knowing full well that if I am going to go to the store after 6 AM, it had better be before 10.  We left AFTER 10, and didn't get home until 11:30.  That sort of threw me off a bit.

So I sat and did some spinning on my Schacht drop spindle with the top whorl.  I got it on Tuesday after my class along with some yellow fiber that I can hopefully ply with the tangerine to make something cool.

Spindling is becoming easier to me.  I can get a pretty uniform strand.  I did the purple today and it kept breaking, so I stopped.  I did a really good go at Blue yarn on Tuesday afternoon. I have wound that into a ball and plan on bringing it with me to ply on Tuesday.

OK onto good stuff:

I finished Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige.  It was good.  A little unsettling when the main character Amy swears and stuff, but then I have to remember that she came from a more modern time that Dorothy had.  Also, all of Dorothy's clothing reads sort of slutty.  And apparently time runs different from here because Dorothy is a babe.  With cleavage.

There are several prequel novellas that are out, so I'm thinking I might read those first before continuing on with The Wicked Will Rise.

I'm going to pick up Podkayne of Mars again.  She's sort of a pain in the ass.  She's 9, but I think time moves differently on Mars so she's more like a teenager than a 9 year old.  The cover art shows a girl of maybe 15 years old.

I'm looking forward to finishing that so I can start on The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. After that, who knows.

I'm waiting on Falling Skies on Sunday.  We watched the second episode of Dark Matter on SyFy.

OOOOH! I got to see an episode of Defiance on SyFy and I think I must have been super tired or completely delirious for about 5 minutes.  Linda Hamilton is in it as Pilar, Rafe's wife that hadn't been seen in I think almost the entire first season.  So Nolan and Irisa are under attack from some Castithans and she came up to save them and she turned to them and said, "Come with me if you want to live!"  And I died in a fit of laughter.  I don't know exactly why that was THAT funny to me, but there ya go.

I'm slowly going through season 3 of Orange is the New Black on Netflix.  I think I finished the third episode today.  Maybe the fourth. The one when we learn about Chang.

The kids and I are making our way through Parks and Recreation on Netflix.

Yesterday at work I watched the Sisterhood of Night on Netflix.  It was pretty good.  I'm going to sit and watch it with my daughter since I was at work and didn't get to see parts of it.

So Stash Dash is still going strong, I guess.  I've done the heel of my first Hermione's sock. Shouldn't be too much longer before I'm closing the toe.  It's for my niece and I did a 6.5 inch leg, and only half an inch of stockinette on my Fish Lips Kiss Heel.

I cast on another pair of tube socks for my husband.  These are in Patons Classic Wool in the Forest Colorway, and like the other pair, will feel as though they are taking forever.

Biggest goal is to finish all this little stuff and try not to cast on anymore, so I can concentrate on The Sweater, which still hasn't gotten to the point of separating for sleeves yet. That means I finish the two pairs of socks and get a bunch done on my Hitchhiker and the Malt.  Malt is second most important, then the two pairs of socks and the Hitchhiker.

Biggest news:  The It's Them Aliens! pattern from JavaPurl/C.C. Almon went live today!  I test knit the pattern for C.C. and it's a GREAT pair of socks.  Mine were done in 100%  Merino wool and 72 stitches.  They fit perfectly on my foot  and look fantastic.


I started this late today, so now it's time to cook some dinner.  I hope your week is going well.  Happy Crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment